While interviewing graduating students to be a potential feature in the semester’s graduation press release, our UF/IFAS College of Agricultural and Life Sciences communications team found that all of the students interviewed had inspirational stories to share with others. These stories ranged from graduating college at an unconventional age and overcoming adversity due to physical or mental obstacles, to celebrating outstanding academic careers and landing unique jobs in the agricultural, natural resources, and life sciences.
These additional stories were shared as part of a social media content campaign centered around graduation. The press releases, featuring one student each semester, were also shared and publicized on social media. The results were such a hit with the CALS social media target audience, that CALS communicators decided to continue the campaign for summer and fall graduation as well.
Social Media Analytics Results:
- Facebook: 20 Posts; 1,548 Reactions; 302 Comments; and 106 Shares
- Twitter: 35 Tweets; 64,009 Impressions; and 4,094 Engagements
- Instagram: 23 Posts; 2,032 Likes; 28 Comments; 169 Profile Visits; and 24,858 Reach/Impressions
In addition, CALS designed a portable white board to showcase at the graduation ceremony. This white board was passed around prior to the start of the ceremony to allow graduates to share where they would be going after graduation (such as unique jobs, graduation or professional school, traveling, etc.). Photos were taken of these graduates with the white board were shared on social media as part of the graduation “day-of” celebratory content.
This graduation highlights social media campaign allowed for friends, family members, and prospective students to see the versatility of a CALS degree and the neat career opportunities in the agricultural, natural resources, and life sciences. Our campaign was completely organic; meaning, no paid promotions or ads were used in this campaign.
Press Releases Shared as Part of CALS Social Media Graduation Stories:
- First-Generation College Student to Speak at UF/IFAS CALS Student Recognition Ceremony as Part of UF Commencement Weekend: https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/news/2018/12/11/first-generation-college-student-to-speak-at-uf-ifas-cals-student-recognition-ceremony-as-part-of-uf-commencement-weekend/
- First-Generation College Student from UF Graduates with Ph.D. and Lands Prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowship: https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/news/2018/08/08/first-generation-college-student-from-uf-graduates-with-ph-d-and-lands-prestigious-postdoctoral-fellowship/
- UF Student Overcomes Adversity to Earn Bachelor’s Degree at 52: https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/news/2018/04/30/uf-student-overcomes-adversity-to-earn-bachelors-degree-at-52/